Schloss Wilhelmsburg

Under Wilhelm IV. , the palace of Wilhelmsburg was built as a secondary residence of the Hesse landgraves from 1585- 1590. The palace is considered to be a jewel among the Renaissance palaces and an important monument of the Renaissance architecture due to its

widely preserved outdoor complex, its original room structure with colourful mural paintings and beautiful stucco. The permanent exhibition "Aufbruch in die neue Zeit" (“Start into the new time“) focuses on the time of Renaissance and Reformation. Emphasis is put on, inter alia: Schmalkalden and Europe in the 16th century, the Reformation movement and the federation of Schmalkalden, courtly culture and lifestyle.

In the vault of the palace you can see the faithful copy of the mural painting from the Hessenhof of Schmalkalden with the painting scene of the "Iwein-Epos" according to Hartmann von Aue from the 13th century. The original from the Hessenhof cannot be visited

Opening hours:

April-October: daily 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
November-March: Tue – Sun 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Meditation and organ music from June to September, every Saturday at 5 p.m., in the Schlosskirche

Contact:

Schloss Wilhelmsburg
Schlossberg 9
98574 Schmalkalden
Telephone: 03683 - 403186

www.schmalkalden.de