The "Ruhl", as it is lovingly called by its inhabitants, meanders along a narrow valley. Thus, the people from Ruhla have built their houses up the high mountain slopes. For centuries the little river marked likewise an inner city border – for until 1921, Ruhla was separated into two city parts, one of Gotha, one of Eisenach, due to the affiliation to two dukedoms. Its separation climaxed with a clerical dispute of 1658 – which finally lead to the construction of the angle church St. Concordia.
The old mountain town Ruhla developed from an industrial and clock town to a place full of charm and flair with diverse touristic and cultural offers. Historical customs are fostered as well as the cheerfulness during numerous festivities. With a little luck, one can meet in the city region the legendary “Ruhlaer Schmied” (Smith of Ruhla), the Mountain Spirit of Ruhla, called “Wuwwerbözer” or Santa Claus – who is known personally to every child around here.