Monastery Park Reinhardsbrunn
In Reinhardsbrunn there has been a sanctuary since the Germanic Time (a meeting-place, a so-called Thing-place, surrounded by 12 trees), which was christianised by Boniface in the 8th century. In the 11th century, Ludwig der Springer (builder of the Wartburg) founded not far from this holy place the family monastery and the burial place of the Ludowingers. Elisabeth of Thuringia buried her husband in Reinhardsbrunn in 1228. Numerous miracles happened at his grave, Reinhardsbrunn became a place of pilgrimage. Luther resided in the monastery several times, inter alia as Junker Jörg during his forays that he started from the Wartburg. After the reformation and destruction in the Peasants’ War, the Gotha dukes used the grounds as administrative headquarters and residence for widows, before today’s hunting lodge and summer residence Reinhardsbrunn was built on the foundation walls of the monastery in the 19th century. Around the castle a wide open landscape garden of romantic character was created. Largely gutted by its private owners, the castle is empty nowadays, and cannot be visited.
With the Johannis Church the Protestant Church of Thuringia inaugurated in 2001 a replica of the baptistery of the Holy Boniface from the 8th century in the Monastery Park. The Church of Reinhardsbrunn is he first "Cycle Path Church" in Germany, and is directly located on the Luther Trail. As a reliably open church it invites visitors, pilgrims and wayfarers. It is used ecumenically, also for weddings, baptisms and church services.
Tour of the Castle Park:
April - October on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays
At 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Meeting point is the entrance of the Castle Park Fischerhof.
Bookings by phone also for groups:
Mr Ortlepp: 0174 44 800 93
Mr Schmidt: 03623 30 30 85