Martin Luther secondary school
In its inception, the Martin-Luther-Gymnasium dates back to the year 1185, in which the Latin school of St. Georgen was founded. This building, in which Martin Luther attended school from 1498 – 1501, has not existed since 1507. The complex, that today accommodates the students of the Martin–Luther-Gymnasium, was built in the 13th century as a Dominican monastery in honour of Holy Elisabeth of Thuringia and was dissolved as such with the Reformation. From 1544 on, the former monastery buildings were used as a school building, especially at Luther’s insistence. Johann Sebastian Bach attended this historical school from 1693 until 1695. These days, the Martin-Luther-Gymnasium is a state-approved secondary school, operated by the Protestant school foundation in Middle Germany.