Dominican monastery

The Thuringian museum, founded in 1899 in the former refectory of the Dominican monastery, possesses the largest stock of medieval woodcraft in Thuringia.
The collection of sculptures and altar connections offers an overview of the rich production of sacred pieces of art in different regions of the country since the 12th century. The art work is on display in the crypt of the towerless Dominican church. Erected in honour of Landgrave Elisabeth shortly after her canonization, the Dominican church was originally part of the monastery complex. The preserved monastery buildings, in which there was a Latin school from 1544 on, are used by the Martin-Luther-Gymnasium (secondary school), today.

Opening hours:

Tuesdays to Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed on Mondays

Contact:

Thüringer Museum - Predigerkirche
Sammlung "Mittelalterliche Kunst in Thüringen"
Predigerplatz (near Markt)
99817 Eisenach
Telephone: 03691 - 784678