Berka/Werra

Untertor

Coming from Bad Hersfeld on 2nd May 1521, Martin Luther stopped off at the inn „Alter Stern“in Berka and set foot on Thuringian soil for the first time. He was the most important visitor to this place that also served kings and princes as an overnight-accommodation. The market town Berka was – conveniently placed as regards transport facilities on the old trade road „Kurze Hessen“ - the only town between Bad Hersfeld and Eisenach, in which wayfarers could rest. In the „Alter Stern“ the followers of the Hersfeld abbot Krato – who had Luther accompanied up to the borders of his foundation – bade farewell to their protégé with a joint meal. The „Alte Stern“ outlived the turmoil of the 30 Years’ War, as did the St. Laurentius Kirche with its Julius-tower which is just a couple of steps away. 

Church services:

On Sundays at 10 a.m.

Contact:

Pfarramt (rectory) Berka/Werra
Kirchplatz 9
99837 Berka/Werra
Telephone 036922 - 28350

Map: